Sign up to gain access to our "secret" library of free printables!

The Hard Lesson God is Teaching Me Through Social Media

Faith, Self Development
Sometimes I feel like I get a little TOO sucked into social media! Ever felt the same way? Click through to read about the hard lesson God has been teaching me through my social media platforms!

Welcome to another Super Short Sunday post! I’ve realized that I have SO much that I want to share with you, but sometimes it’s just a quick thought here and there. Sundays have become a time for me to be candid with y’all and share what’s been on my mind, what I’ve been learning, and what I’ve been doing that’s been working. I love being able to share some of my more personal struggles and thoughts in a super quick post, so let’s do this!

I love all things social media. I enjoy being able to connect with people that I normally wouldn’t be able to connect with. I love being able to share my truth and my story with other women to hopefully inspire them. And I love being inspired to lead the best life that I can!

Social media can also be a big downfall for me, though.

All too often, I find myself stressing over the amount of likes, comments, shares, repins, follows, etc…and I’ve even gone so far as to let that ruin my day! It’s all too easy for me to get caught up in the hype of growing a following and forget about the true mission. The mission of spreading the Word of Christ is the only one I should be focusing on, but I often get caught up in my own selfish goals and agendas. Can you relate?

I believe that God has seen it, and he’s taking care of it by putting my “fears” right in front of me. Recently my Instagram following numbers have been stagnant, I’ve been having trouble getting my ads on Facebook approved, and I had to get rid of a pin that had close to 500 repins. I was….ridiculously…devastated. I know that these things aren’t truly important, but in a world in which social media is so prevalent, sometimes these things can seem like a big deal.

Instead of trusting that God would provide the path for me to do his work, I trusted in my own ability to grow my social media networks. I got caught up in the silly numbers instead of the lives that God might be touching each day through what I post without me even knowing it. And because of my lack of faith, the results of my labor haven’t been what I was hoping for.

I’m grateful, though. God is so gracious, kind, and patient, and I know that he is working in me. I’m learning day by day to focus on God and His work and NOT on my own ambitions. I want to use social media and my blog as a platform to promote God, NOT the other way around!

Colossians 3:23-24 – Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,  knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Let’s talk about it! Is this something that you struggle with, too? What do you do to keep things in perspective? Comment below!

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

karinpeters
    January 25, 2017 at 11:29 am

I get it. I’m right there with you. Thanks for the encouragement!

Carisa Alford
      February 21, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for reading and commenting! Keep praying!

Ammz
    January 18, 2017 at 1:27 pm

This post was so meant to be for me. Just randomly bumped into it on my Pinterest feed and I know God used this post to speak to me right now.

Because I’m going through a similar situation with my pins not being seen for the past few days.

Blog traffic has dropped like a rock from 5-9k page views per day to under 2000 in just the past 2-3 days.

I’ve been depressed but held on to the lord and I know that he only has plans to prosper me, never to harm me (you 2).

The verse you quoted Colossians 3:23-24, is the very chapter he gave me to read a couple of hours ago.

God bless you.

We all need that reminder from time to time. To rely on him and not our own understanding.

Tc.

Carisa Alford
      February 21, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I’m so glad that you took the time to comment! It’s hard to remember that it’s not about us. It’s about God, what he is doing, and the people that we might be able to touch. Keep doing what you’re doing and putting the trust in God!

Anonymous
    December 8, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I have been learning this EXACT same thing! I can’t let it get to me. I have so much more important things to care for in my life. God needs to come first. My hubby second (he’s deployed though so still learning how to figure that out!) and our 4 boys next. Social media and likes and comments and subscribers have to be something we put into God’s hands. If we are doing His will and honoring Him in our work, He WILL bless us ☺️☺️ I love that verse❤️ Thank you for sharing!

Carisa Alford
      December 31, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Yes yes yes! I am so glad you were encouraged by this post! You go girl 🙂

HeavenOnEarth
    June 13, 2016 at 9:14 pm

God has been teaching me this too!! I wrote a post about this just the other week … http://www.heavenonearthblog.com.au/im-turning-noise-self-promotion/ 🙂 I pray God gives you wisdom in how to use social media. I like what Carmen said above … just using social media for blogging sounds like a great idea!

Carisa Alford
      June 14, 2016 at 7:43 am

We are SO on the same page! I’ll check yours out!

Carmen I Marriedbyhisgrace
    June 12, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Carisa, I love your honesty about this. I do worry about myself with social media. Up till a month ago my only social media was Pinterest that I have ever had! I never desired having it because I know by my own habits of my mind, I can get caught up in things. I became saved as the hype of social media was booming so getting on social media was something I knew I could not do since I was trying to break myself from people that I knew was not good for my walk. I DID NOT want to get consumed by the people that I was just badly hurt by ( adultery in my first marriage was posted on Facebook, before I even knew about it) so it was just naturally something I did not want part of. Now that I have a blog so many have told me social media is important. And very much I do agree, but I am gradually learning to making my social media a brand, not a lifestyle. If it does not have to do with blogging, I do not do it. I am still pretty new to the blogging world so I have not experienced as much as you with: likes, promotions for ads, volume of following, and much more, but I am praying the Lord leads me, and if He does tell me to get off of it, I have to trust Him. Once again, your honesty is AWESOME, its humbling. It encouraged me today!

Carisa Alford
      June 13, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Your comment made me really reflect on my own use, and I’m so glad that you took the time to read and comment! I LOVE what you said about ONLY using social media when it comes to blogging, and I think I’m going to have to evaluate if I’m doing that or not! Thank you for sharing so openly!

What are your thoughts?